Monday 14 September 2015

Acceptance and Rejection of Academic Papers in ORL

This past weekend has been one of emotional roller-coaster for me. Of the 3 papers from the studies I was involved in, I got notification of 1 acceptance and 1 rejection. That in itself is no big issue: acceptance and rejection is commonplace in the life of an academic. There are several reasons a paper get rejected (see http://www.deakin.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/269831/reasons_papers_rejected-_24.08.pdf )
It hurts because the reason for rejection is preventable human errors. In an attempt to rush a paper to publication because of the excitement of 'discovery' by the author(s), certain details get overlooked. And the reviewer is often not forgiving of such 'silly inconsistencies' in a scientific paper ( I know because aside from being an author, I've been a reviewer to several journals). So the author is left to lonely whisper of 'I can't believe I could be so stupid' while accepting the decision of the editor. Plagiarism is a serious offence in academics and there is no way the poor editor can discern honest but stupid mistake of a paper's authors from the former. The only times I've cried as an adult were times when my papers get rejected!!  But then, the author picks the gauntlet from his raw data and starts all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment